Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me and I welcome their hatred.-FDR







Friday, August 6, 2010

A Different Viewpoint on Hiroshima

Today is the 65th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, Japan and many people believe the bombings were wrong. While I don't condone civilian casualties, I also realize that shit happens in war. But I am a rare anti-nuker who was not against the Hiroshima bombing* and I have a unique reason why. I believe the bombings prevented larger and more destructive nukes from being launched during the Cold War. The horrors at Hiroshima and Nagasaki made even the most hawkish of politicians less nuke-happy. Imagine if the first nuke dropped was dropped on Moscow how many more people would have died. Think of that next time you think of Hiroshima.

*The Nagasaki bombing a few days later though was probably not necessary since Japan probably got the message with one nuked city.

No comments:

Post a Comment